Trees

Trees

Monday, August 11, 2014

23 and the Colorado Ladies

'member how I posted about having lost BOTH of my flasks in my most recent move?  Well, when I got to the field on Saturday, a little late mind you, I was greeted by Linda.  Linda is a new thrower, but she is really gonna be good.  She throws track & field events!  Ya see that pink flask?  She brought that too me because she didn't want me to turn in my Heavy Athlete Card just yet.   Frankly, the note made me a little weepy...lots of the other ladies were in on it too.  The Colorado folks? All  of these women....the throwers and the score keepers and the grand dame of the tee shirts are a whole special breed.  They have really made me wish there was a game in Colorado every weekend. 

I know I am not....but they have made me feel like part of their family.

So much cool shit happened at this game. 

First time they had a light weight class for women....5...yes 5 ladies in the class.  I think there were more masters throwers in the open class than ever before.  I watched a brand new master's lady throw her very first game.  All pr's! In our first even, sheaf, in a group of 13 women (yes 13!) more than half either matched or set a new pr.  Even me! 23'

The rest of my day was ok.  Got back to a 60 foot for the light weight for distance, 80+ on light hammer, 31+ on open stone.  Not sure why I am not making the jumps I had hoped for...I mean, I know any pr is a pr and in sheaf I am thrilled, but I am not having those kick ass games, you know? At least in my throws.  And, well, maybe I am at a plateau, and maybe I can't or won't find the time to really push through that....I am not saying I don't want to throw my best, I am just at a place where I have to acknowledge that there are a boat load of things happening in my life right now and I am choosing...I am choosing to focus on those things.  I know it sounds insane with Scotland around the corner, but sometimes trying to force focus else where...just....doesn't....work. 

I am thrilled I am going. 

I am so humbled by the support I have received.

I will throw the best I can those three days.

I have no desire to go out there and prove something, nor beat anyone but maybe walk away with a pr or two. Which...may not happen either.  This weekend, these women, were a great reminder of why I love this sport.

I do hope to make all the people who are sending me on this trip proud of me, but you know, I hope they know me well enough to know that I am proud to throw...proud to be strong...proud to stand on that field....proud that I have learned to be big and not shrink.

Thank you...thank you...thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment