Trees

Trees

Friday, July 27, 2018

workin'....wait, didn't I just say that?

Still in week 6, still looking for 100.

So Mona, what did you do the last few days to prep for Pleasanton?

I did go to the gym Wednesday and did loads of PT and active type stretching.  And drills....worked on hammer....scared the new guy Cody.  Don't worry buddy, I won't let it go.  Grant said I was pulling too fast right outta the gate, so that's what I focused on....slow that first wind down so I can feel where the weight is.  Thinking I was letting it get ahead of my swing.  Can't throw it at the wall, so I will have to wait til Sunday to see if I can keep the weight in the right spot. Then I did a little stone break down. 

This is how I feel working on stone.

Anyhoooo....

Yesterday had me back at the gym, and the workout was weird.  Rowing...sprints.

Yeah.

Me...trying to go fast...on anything...is funny.

I had to do 100 meter sprints. 8 chances to get my fasted time. As soon as I got slower...my chances were up.

OK then:

1.  24 seconds
2. 20.8 seconds
3. 19.1 seconds
4. 19.4 seconds

OOOF...that last one was rough. I got off the rower on my hands and knees....heart pounding (you know how much that scares me) then got up and walked around.  I think I needed to rest a little more before that 4th attempt.  But for a heavy older athlete...I felt pretty good about those times.

I looked ahead to next weeks training and it look like I am starting a new block....all sorts of testing next week.  Um....like rowing and running?  sigh....I have to do a double one of the days because we have another game in Colorado next weekend.  Should be funny.

Was planning on throwing last night, then the downpours showed up...so I am behind on that.  Today?  Lots of walking and my PT stuff for my hips and knees....Had a day to hang out with my son today.  😊  Botanical Gardens...dang, I swear I love Botanical Gardens....



I was thinking about this 6 week thing to Pleasanton and it makes me think of all the people who have helped get me to this place.  There is no way in hell that I can name or thank everyone....but I was thinking about Chuck Thomas.

He and I go way back, more than 20 years.  Chuck used to play D&D and Magic with my ex...he even tried to teach me Magic (which was sorta fun).  It was chuck who I contacted when I was looking for something to do other than go to the gym and was tired of people telling me to "run a 5k"...for what ever reason, Chuck kept after me.  For those of you that haven't heard me tell the story, Cjuck sent me a list of events for the Highland games, I read it. Laughed my ass off and said, that looks like the dumbest shit ever, no way.  Well, Chuck kept bugging me to come down and try.  I finally did...'cause you know how he can be...and I loved it. Threw a hammer and was hooked.

Beyond that, Chuck was the first person to get on my about my attitude toward myself. He was also the first person to see potential in me as an athlete.  Athlete being a word I had NEVER NEVER NEVER used to describe myself.  He pushed me, sometimes literally....I got some good freaking bruises from that man...but he is also the one who started this small spark in me that I was "worth it."  Worth his time, worth MY time, worth the attention, worthy of being part of something.

Chuck is super busy right now, so I don't see him very much.  He has two young athletes that he is nurturing at home.  But I wanted to thank him again for sending me that ridiculous list of events in the highland games 8 or so years ago.  It sparked a lot of changes; some of them painful, but it's been worth it.

Thanks Chuck.

Keep your eyes open, someday I'll tackle you....ha, who am I kidding!  The man still plays rugby. I'm eating dirt and grass everytime....

No comments:

Post a Comment