Trees

Trees

Monday, August 6, 2018

Wrap up and work

Well, Well Mona, what have you done?  We are 4 weeks out and what have  you done?

Oh, back off I had a game this weekend, spent like 14 hours in the car too...

And....how did you eat??  How did you throw? 

Whatever, stop policing my food you nosey Barker....102.2 by the way, but it's a fair bit to still try to lose while I am also training so..whatever.   And the game?  Well, it moved back to the Denver area which was great.  We saw lots of old friends, which is even better...there were 2 brand new throwers in the Masters group...awesome...and there was this pretty awesome thrower, Amy, who I just fell in love with.  She broke her PELVIS last year....and is back throwing. Yes, her freakin' pelvis...I am really looking forward to throwing with her and Rebecca again...we may have bugged them enough about Aztec. Russ Murphy was there to open the game.  He threw out the first stone.  This game was jam packed with history.  Greg Bradshaw was there, of course, but a whole bunch of his family was too...great grand kids even.  And his brother was going to throw on Sunday for the first time in 30 years....how awesome is that?  I got to harass Coach and tease the shit out of Edie...and watch CJ get a world record in Sheaf. So really...freakin' great stuff.

Yes, but how did you throw?

I don't wanna talk about it.



Seriously,  something is broken, WFD...I haven't thrown that short in years....like since my first 2 years....hammer too.  Sheaf was ok...but I had been getting some great drive and that's gone too....and WOB...shhhhhhh...I just can't.

But stone felt ok...Funny, I know.  Open was herky jerky....but the pieces I have been trying to fix were much better. 

My favorite thing this game was caber.  We had 3...first one was super light and only 11 feet.  Which is super cool, 'cause like I said we had lots of new folks.  I told a couple of the more experienced throwers to cool it...I was first up....so they took it easy with the pick.  The next caber was light but like 16 feet.  Dang you gotta pull hard to turn those.  Then the last one was more like 57 pounds and a little over 16 feet....again...hard pull.  That was a new caber too.  and well, a little raw.  I turned the thing and Edie and CJ came up to me and high fived me and all I could say is, "could you get that sliver out of my neck?"  Edie ended up with one in her neck too.  It just needed a little more TLC.

My frustrations started to get the best of me, just like in Flag,  I hate when I am such an asshole.  Grant does his best to cool my jets, but I just don't get it.  I mean I do....I get the time and energy thing....but in the moment of my terrible throwing, the wonky arms and tangled feet, I forget what I know on an intellectual level and just got straight to "what the Hell, why do you suck." 

See, I already know the "whys,"  so please don't think I am being negative about myself here.  I know, I am where I am, and that's just the truth...and it's fine.  I am still out there and I am still working on improving on today. Further, I know that I am throwing my best right now, for where I am in my life. I can't want for more than that.

Ok...hit the gym today and it was what BJ called conditioning....
 Kidding....lots of 5 minute super sets and ending with this insane 10 minutes of 7 second sprints on the rower...

I am sore as hell...from last week, from the game, from today, and from getting pt AND a massage on Thursday before we left.  I won't make that mistake again.

I wanna send out a little thank you to this woman here.

 Again, I cannot remember when we met, what game.  But I do remember being super duper intimidated by you.  She seemed so...fierce.  All this bad ass, don't fuck with me sorta attitude....not sure when she let me in a little...but then I got to see that smile. 
This is yet another women in this sport that has helped me in so many ways...yes in clinics, but in much more intangible ways as well.  I stalk her pretty frequently...y'all know she is an athlete for the Grrrl clothing brand...and if you know the brand, you know why.  I have never ever seen her be anything but supportive of other athletes.  I adore watching her lifting videos and all that crazy strongman stuff she does.  And well, I am pretty sure that Heather and Andy kept me from punching out a security guard at my wedding...True story. 

One of the things that I can do with her that I don't feel comfortable doing with anyone else is celebrating a throw.  I have literally crossed the field to find her to share something that goes right... and I can do that because of her genuine support of all of the people out there on the field. 

And because her success bolsters me and I can see that mine does the same.

Thanks for being you and for keeping me coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment