Trees

Trees

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

3...redux



I love this version.....

but here it is for you purists out there....



I love the Pleasanton Games.


I finally finally got to throw with Beth in my class...

The master's ladies were separated from the elite women this year, usually we throw together...we were paired with the 60+ guys....This also meant we had like 17 people in our class that our judge Carlos had to put up with...yikes.  But we are always an efficient group. We are old...we know there isn't much time left.

As you know, I didn't have much in the way of expectations in terms of performance for this game.  I am fat, not training a ton, and I....well...don't think very highly of me right at this moment.  I squeaked into this game. As we were getting on the plane in ABQ, I turned to Grant and told him that I didn't want to go.  I mean, I wanted to go, I just didn't want to throw.

The weather was great Saturday...and it was FREAKING packed this year.  150th anniversary...they had a celebrity throwing too...they expanded the field a little too. Had a new judge, Rachel and I tried to break him in slowly by immediately diving into dick jokes. LOTS of friends and lots and lots of volunteers.  It's great that so many hands help with this...it's big....did I say that already?...(it's a big game)

We started on Light hammer...one of my more painful events.
Then Heavy Weight
The Breamar

The first two I kept my promise on, I really tried to focus on form....I feel pretty slow...on hammer, but my first throw was in the mid 70's so I was thrilled.  Then on the second throw, it felt light and speedy, but I pulled the leg and that dang spot in my groin started screaming at me.  Carlos pulled the tape and I almost started to cry.  87' 2"  That s just a couple inches shy of my big throw in Phoenix.

Heavy weight....Stayed nice and slow on that first turn...again my first throw was a little over 48??  what what? Then...I hit 50...50'2" on heavy weight...Thrilled....

Breamar was...up right and stiff.... 27 and change...I was still thrilled.

WOB saw me go out at 18, but I haven't been getting much over 16, and better than the height thing...I was consistent....

Caber is fun...I got all three tries turned, but I am turning my body at the last second so I can't get the 12...Don't care...I started to feel completed pulls at the end.

I got to see Kerry and Paul and Matt and Pam this weekend too....

I soaked in the tub Saturday night, but Sunday was rough rough.  My chest didn't hurt but it was heavy...like someone was pressing on it.  I finished the morning events and promptly fell asleep on a picnic table. I wasn't going to do the challenge events...I think I had a little bad angel whispering in my ear (Rachel) "just throw one, see how it feels."  I did both events...actually won WOB...

The ladies spoiled me Sunday morning...Bethany made cupcakes at Juli's suggestion...I got to wear a banner...I got lavender treats and a owl covered mug and the most beautiful umbrella that I will use at the wedding.

I got to watch the most amazing things this weekend too...To know the work and time that Juli has put in and then get to watch that pay off...and Kim...I have thrown with her at these games for 4 years now and I have never seen her throw like she did this weekend.  Watching Shonda attack the beast of "this is my starting place."  Karyn, who has focused so much on her health this year, essentially "starting over." Rachel is just so much fun to to watch...so strong..pound for pound, a way better athlete than I will ever be...and Beth...the timing on the 21 can be so frustrating and she was getting it...dialing it in on the WOB.  And well...her power!  Ahhhhhhh!!!

Persistence....that really was all of these ladies this weekend, even me. 

I saw all sorts of other stuff too...There seemed to be a sprinkle more of Joy all over the field this year. Thor and Mike driving that crown wild over WOB. Throwers proud of the work they do, yet humble at the same time.  Makes me so happy to know and to throw with these people.

Carlos, Steve, and Shonda made me cry too....or maybe it was the shot of whiskey I had with Big Daddy...woman athlete of the day?  I share that will all of them...really~truly...

I am spent though...I really was not ready for these games...this two day joy filled event.  I didn't think I pushed that hard...it just took it all out of me.  I had a conversation with Kirk Taylor after the game... I had no idea he was a doctor....he started asking me some details and I told him how terrible I felt because my doctors have all said that I would be normal in a week or two.  He looked me straight in the eye and said, " Mona, it will take your heart 9-12 weeks to really heal.  But really, what no one will tell you, this is going to take you a year to come back from.  And then, really, you are only healed once you forget you had the surgery. You'll never forget forget, but once it is out of your head when you workout or throw, then you have healed."

Wow....yes....thank you....hard to hear, but I suspected something along these lines, but have felt like an asshole for feeling this...like a big weenie.

I really had a wonderful couple of days and I threw much better than I ever could have hoped for too....my guess is the mojo off of these ladies rubbed off on me.  I think this is the best third place finish ever....Sharing the podium with Beth and Juli?  Unexpected.

I am still debating about worlds.  After this weekend, I am not sure I can or should do this again so quickly.  My chest still feels...weird and I am not bouncing back...I'll see how I feel tomorrow....but for the rest of today, I will just be happy with right now.

Lots of Love to Bethany today too!  You got this woman....

heal up....and find that starting point!

No comments:

Post a Comment