Trees

Trees

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Little things and mostly not enough....

I know I am supposed to be writing about my trip, the games; I did a little....sigh.  I really should have written as I went.  Cause this is likely to be either a rambling mess....or super short with nothing but numbers....


I worked out today....I could start with that.
Push Press
Dumbell Snatches 
One leg box jump things.
Curls.  (yeah Curls)

Found out that my kids show is next weekend...ONLY next weekend and no show on Thursday, which means I am gonna miss Aztec. Bummer....but I can't wait to see him in a show.  He wasn't cast at all last year so it has been a while.  Gonna be a quick trip...lots of car time...my butt hurts already.  

 hmmmmm  how does one sum up the games in Scotland....Juli has already done it better than I....the nerves, the chatter about it might not be a fun group, the fear that was placed on us after a couple of the groups hit the WOB and broke a bunch of boards....I know I got caught up in that mess too...forgetting that it doesn't matter if it's a knock off bar or not, cause it is supposed to to OVER the bar....also the crazy beautiful river next to our first event, the generous ladies in our class, the weather that moved in on the second day, the judges that were just...YES....the field, the people, the family, the other throwers who hung out with our class....the absolute fun we had....each of the days, but especially on the last day....dancing on the field....judges too.


Day 1- LH, HH, Caber
Day 2- BS, OS, LWD, HWD
Day 3- WOB



Michaela Pennekamp - Nordrheinwestfalen, Germany
Juli Peterson, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Stephanie Lathrop, Orting, Washington
Kenna Halsey, Portland, Oregon
Gretchen Yoder, Salem, Oregon
Petra Mueller, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Becky Wissink, Fredericksburg, Virgina
Meike Stoeffler, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Victoria Wechter, Oregon City, Oregon
Edie Lindburg, Parker, Colorado
Allison Daniel, Midlothian, Virginia


I have thrown with some of these ladies before...some are new to me.  Learned something from Allison that I will carry with me, "Gotta find your starting point."  She had been in a devastating car wreck 3 years ago and she is just now getting back to throwing.  Just for that....she rocks,  I know way too many of us shut down, stop, or just move on when there is something in our lives that turns everything on its ear.  She trains horses and she said she needed to remind herself of the concept of  a starting point after an injury that she allows her horses.  She needed to allow the same for herself.  And you know what? She threw really well!  I also took this in.  I know you all know what a challenge the last year/year and a half has been.  I guess I need to allow myself a starting point too.  I know I have written about how I am coming out of the "hermit phase" of things....but I am realizing that I am not all there yet...(well, I'll never be ALL there HA)

If I am honest though, the first day of the games I had a rough start to my day.  I could feel that pull of wanting to run, or hide.  That feeling like I was a fraud...that I don't belong with all of these women, that they would find me out, and politely ask me to leave so that a real athlete could have my spot...a worthy woman.  I spent a large chunk of the morning working mobility....fighting nausea until I remembered that DUH you are here by choice and this shit is fun.  The deal I made with myself before I came was to just throw what I throw, to not judge myself (plenty of others doing that, you know actual judges), and to have fun.  When I got to the field I found Michaela...she was just as nervous as me...maybe more so.  And I remembered all those promises....we held each other for a bit....I told her how much I have always LOVED to watch her throw.

Did I throw my best that weekend? Yes.  Did I throw everything well? Hell no.  WFD got me all tangled.  I have no idea why I fell apart so bad...not just heavy, but light too.  But...I was happy with Stones...no shoulder pain! Some how I managed a 1st in open.  yeah....I just wrote that.  After the event, Mark W came over and gave me something to work on for the off season.

Hammers?  wow.  I don't know what happened.  My first throw of the first day was a bomb.  Easy, fast, and long.   When they measured and measured again I thought I'd my crap my pants.  I said to Edie..."I don't care what happens the rest of the day...I am DONE!"  Then heavy hammer? Same freaking thing....Some day though, it would be nice to have the last throw best throw thing....I really didn't care what else happened during the weekend, which is why I wasn't all too disappointed with WFD. Plus I got to watch both Juli and Michaela throw and even though their form is radically different...they are beautiful. Just beautiful.

The caber was cabery....Top heavy and fun to try and negotiate.

WOB was WOBy....we all seemed super nervy...but after everyone was in people threw great...PR's all over the place.  I was thinking I'd see someone hit 20....I really did.  I was just hoping to get on the board, because 3 days of throwing had sorta done me in.  I have such a hard time just throwing it when it gets high.  I know I have more in there....but I get in my own way and try too hard.  Michele was laughing at me about that...."when it is right it is easy, stop trying so hard"...true.




 Got deep on that one, but I bet I could drop dat ass more.



 You can see on this miss that I pull too soon.

Really though, these two videos taken by Sean are just...um cool.  The light...I mean yeah.

I tried to remember something Mark Buchanan told me in Pleasanton, "you have to start believing you are an athlete, Mona." I am trying Mark...

All in all....and you can see it in some of the photos...I was so happy....such great people..such such support...such love.

Now that I am home again?  Huh....I saw a post from Terri V...She's got her goals for her off season....I don't.  I don't know what I am going to do.

I have a major thing at work that will pull all my extra time....and....I just don't know.  I have a fantasy that somehow I can get some training from someone who knows a shit load more than I do...but I am in NM....I think for now I need to focus on:

1. Dialing in my food again.

2. Accepting what Mark told me.

Maybe in a couple weeks I'll figure something else out.....but for now....I still need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment