Trees

Trees

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Spotting


Having started working out in CrossFit gyms, I never really needed a spotter.  On back squats, if you failed, you just dumped it behind you.  Rubber plates. And at the first gym, there was NO bench pressing....After I moved to Praxis....I learned to bench and learned I needed a spotter.

But I am learning about the art of spotting more and more as I lift at IronSoul.  Ya can't really drop a bar full of iron like you can a bar full of....you know. I know I have written about this a little, but  I find it cool how much more I will attempt at a bench or a squat when some one is there...ready in case I fail. 

Even though I know I need help, especially on my bench, I am still super tentative at the gym.  I kinda look like this guy when I have loaded a bar and I just sorta stand there...


It's clearly my issue, because if someone needs to say no, it's totally cool, but no one has yet.  I mean, I look around and try to hit someone up while they are resting or...if they catch my eye...it's even better. 

"You need a spot?"

Yeah, what gave me away? My pleading eyes, that look of....jesus, where am I and where are my people?

I still feel dumb for needing a spot sometimes...especially when they say, "Well, that was easy..."  No, no....bench is never easy.  Seriously, I still worry about anything over 100....although, I am getting more confident.  I also go up in tiny increments...so....sigh. 

I'll get over it the more time I spend there and with James on this programing.

The spotting thing though made me think about other ways we spot one another...How my issues asking for help in other areas of my life are reflected in my difficulty in asking for a spot. 

I look around and know over these last few years, I have had a ton of spotters who showed up to spot even when I was just staring into those bright headlights. 

And I hope you know if you are needing a spot, that I'm keeping my eye out for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment