Trees

Trees

Thursday, August 13, 2015

more quotes....more something

At the West Side Power Gym where I spend my mornings attempting to regain some strength, there are some chalk boards filled with quotes...

One of my favorites is "If you want a fancy gym experience, squat with your pinkies out."

Yesterday my eyes settled on this:


“It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” –Socrates


hmmm


What am I doing to get myself there? Am I doing anything to really get myself there....the easy answer is yes...5 years ago I was pretty much rotting on the couch, struggling to get my life to look like I had imagined it would be. I had wanted an active life, yet I ended up on the couch.

SO...as I continue to recover and hit the gym, I wonder what more I could do, be, try.

I live with this low level lingering self loathing...I keep it at bay more and more as I age and as I move....but I know it also is what keeps me from really pushing forward and taking the best care of me.  You know, good old self sabotage.

Not sure where I am headed with this....

Anyway....

I had a spectacular fail on a back squat yesterday too....oh my.  I am used to the soft bumper plates...well...WPG has mostly Iron....After I got 275, I loaded up 305...I really wanted to see if I could get 300 again.  As soon as I stepped back, I thought, "re rack this, it doesn't feel right."  But then I thought that perhaps I was being a big baby. I went down...too far...I got stuck.  Stuck.  I wasn't even sure how to bail...Ugh, I tweaked my whole spine...but Grant stepped in and eased it off of me on to those safety doo-dads.

Lesson...I go heavy....He needs to spot me differently.

Bummed too...I thought perhaps I still had 300 in me.

Not yet.

As for the what more I can do, I met with BJ today, we have a strategy to get me through September...both body and mind.  Also...

Sigh.

I signed up for another competition.

Just to see what it is like.

There is an in house power lifting competition at WPG.  I've never even BEEN to one before...I just thought it might be fun to try.  It will help me temper expectations too...I need help with that right now, before that self loathing~self sabotage takes over.

Just go in...see what my body is capable of.... 

Oh, here is the gym's new web site...


Praxis

And the other gym...

WPG


HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment